Sunday, September 25, 2011

Self-Stitched-September Item 4

DSCF4249

This dress got off to a shaky start. BurdaStyle magazine patterns and I haven't always gotten along in the past. There is the lack of seam allowances, the weird sizing (or, 'standard' sizing that never fits me, ever) and a few other things that we have disagreed about in the past. But, I'd had some success with BurdaStyle patterns recently (my Kasia skirt, the one piece kimono tee and the ruby shorts), so I decided to give the magazine patterns another go.

So far so good. I'm feeling happy that the patterns work, even if they miss like half the steps in the instructions. I can totally do a magazine pattern. So, when I downloaded the BurdaStyle DrapĂ© Dress pattern the first time, I cut the pattern pieces out without adding any seam allowances. Fail.

I downloaded the pattern again, added my seam allowances, took out some facing folds (replacing them with full lining) everything was going okay. Then, after 5 or 6 attempts, I still couldn't get the drape waistband to sit how it should. So, I cut my losses and gathered the cotton gauze onto my poplin lining.  I even stitched it down for good measure (or, so it would survive being thrown in the washing machine. Whichever you think is more... correct). Again, so far so good.

I added the bodice pieces, pleating them by hand (mainly because I didn't feel like dealing with gathering stitches anymore), and sewed the skirt on. Then I tried it on, and it was super tight. Like, I don't think I can sit down tight. Not the best way for a dress to start, really.

But, given that this was acting as my test garment, I kept going.

The next hurdle was the shoulder seam. It was much much to long. Like, 8cm to look. I divided this into three tucks, which I don't mind the look of. And, I even remembered to alter the pattern s the next version doesn't have too long shoulders.

This dress was sewn for the Something Floral, Something Blue Sew Weekly challenge. I wore it out to afternoon tea with friends today, and it was actually quite comfortable, not too tight at all.

DSCF4250


Fabric: Thrifted Blue flower cotton gauze from stash; 4 m blue poly cotton $18.20
Pattern: Burda Style Draped dress pattern, $5.40
Year: 2011
Notions: Thread, 5 spools $3.25 each, total $16.25
Time to complete: Too long, with the troubles I had with the waistband! 
First worn: September 2011
Wear again? Yes
Total Cost: $43.11

DSCF4251

No comments:

Post a Comment