Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Some Gifts - clothing

First off, I have to apologise about the bad photos for both of these. I was slightly restricted for time for both of them - I gifted them the same day I made them.

Both of these dresses are being counted towards my Sew Weekly challenges for the year. In fact, I am using the dress, skirt and top to check off three of the challenges.

Firstly, a red dress for my friend D. I visited her in Perth recently, and ended up giving her the red and black lace look dress. This one.

DSCF4098

She also mentioned that she really liked the style, but couldn't find anything like it in the shops. And that she was looking for a red dress. So, I made her one. I counted it as my "Do Over" item - it's exactly the same pattern, no alterations made, just made a second time around.

The dress is made from a red fabric I had in my stash, using thread from my stash and a pattern I'd used previously - meaning that it essentially cost me nothing.

DSCF4477

Next, for my housemate C, who has vowed that she isn't allowed to buy any more black clothing, I made a skirt and a blouse. The skirt is counting towards the "Orange" Sew Weekly challenge, and the blouse is counting towards the "Patternless"challenge (although both of them are patternless).

C has been lusting after orange skirts, and mullet skirts (which I keep referring to as tulip skirts). I remembered that a while back, I had pinned this tutorial (which was featured on craftgossip) for a fishtail skirt.



Using that as my basis, and some thrifted orange cheesecloth in my stash, plus some new pink bias binding for the hem and waistband, I created a gathered waist version for C. For the top, I again used something that I'd seen on craftgossip, a tutorial for a wrap top. Which was inspired by the vintage photo below.



Between the two of them, I'm very happy with the result. Both of them are adjustable enough to suit C, and allowed me to not need to surreptitiously gain any of her measurements.

The top used new fabric, bias binding and satin binding, and the skirt used new bias binding. All up, it cost me about $15 to make the outfit.

DSCF4510

I used a double layer of warm white rayon, with a white cotton bias tape for the thin tie, and cream satin blanket binding for the thicker tie. Although, I may have to shorten each of the ties. But, that can come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment