Then, someone in my dance class turned up wearing something very similar. Which was kinda my final push to actually sewing one myself.
For the underskirt, I was originally going to sew something like this:
I used a doona (duvet, quilt) cover I purchased at an op shop (thrift store) a few months ago. I loved the pattern with the kinda-seersucker quality. I just wasn't sure what to do with it. It was perfect for this project though.
Both the overskirt and the underskirt are based off my simple A-Line skirt pattern (so easy and quick to do, and it only needs 4 measurements! My tutorial is here)
Here is my finished overskirt:
And then I discovered this:
I was at a sewing shop picking up a darning foot for my machine, when I spotted some lace under their counter, and bought some. Turns out, it was exactly the right colours for my overskirt. I just didn't get enough of it.
So, I started the lace skirt as an underskirt, went out (to a different fabric store) and purchased much more (too much, but oh well, I now have plans for the extra lace), and sewed myself a lace skirt. And a bonus, it works both as an underskirt, and by itself!
Each of the layers of lace are different, and the bottom one has a green tint that picks up the green hue of the overskirt and the buttons.