Friday, August 12, 2011

My tails - a shell

I have started taking a TAFE (technical college) Clothing production courses in the evenings. For the sewing part of the course, I am making a jacket. I had a few ideas about what I wanted to make, and narrowed it down to the following two:

Jacket 3
Jacket 4

I couldn't choose between the two, so I decided to combine the elements of each that I liked. I love the fitted tails look of the first, and the stripes look of the second. So, using Vogue 8061, I traced the pattern and altered the front piece to give the shape that I want. Then, I changed the grain lines so that I could see the way the stripes would of the second. Then after spending ages drawing the stripes on the calico, I cut it out, and sewed it up to make my shell, and check the fit. (Which is awesome).

DSCF4091

DSCF4092

DSCF4093

DSCF4094

DSCF4095

DSCF4096

DSCF4097

I'm really happy with how it looks, so now I feel comfortable to cut the expensive wool fabric that I'm planning to use for the jacket. And, the fit is great - nice and form fitting, not too loose anywhere, and the shoulders sit well.

No comments:

Post a Comment